|Aero Service Corporation began in the summer of 1919 when a group of
returning WWI pilots set up a company originally known as
Pennsylvania Aero Service Corp. In 1920 the company name was
changed to simply Aero Service Corp. We believe that the original
principals and pilots were J. Wesley Smith, John C. Howard , Neil
Johnston and Forrester Scott.
|The original founders, like many others, weren't sure of their direction
but knew that aviation was where they wanted to be. They tried
instructing, carrying packages, scheduled air service, parts and aircraft
sales and eventually settled into the aerial photographic business.
|Following WW2 the company expanded globally with business from
governments, oil companies and others. The company was sold a
Canadian company Intera in 1990.
|With the help of wealthy Philadelphia socialite Mary K. (May) Gibson the
company struggled along until 1927 when it was sold to Virgil Kauffman.
Kauffman focused the company on aerial photography and eventually
magnetic surveys. The company expanded into a successful aviation
|This website is for the enjoyment, education and research of Aero Service Corporation of Philadelphia, its subsidiaries and affiliates and others engaged in legitimate research on the subjects of aviation, history, aerial photography and aerial
survey. No photos or documents on this sight can be reproduced without the express approval of the appropriate owner. The sole purpose of the site is scholarship and research as defined under U.S. Copyright Law section 107. Anyone seeking
information about this sight or wishing to claim credit for photos or publications on the site should contact us on the "Contact US" page. Anyone wishing to contribute information to this site please use the form below. We will appreciate it.
|Other Recommended Sites
Ernie Buehl The Flying Dutchman
Emory C. Malick First African American Aviator
Library Company of Philadelphia
Colorado Aviation Historical Society
Delaware County History